The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade – IIFT
The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) is an autonomous public business school established in 1963 by the Government of India to help professionalize the country’s foreign trade management and increase exports by developing human resources, generating, analyzing and disseminating data.
IIFT’s portfolio of long-term programmes is as follows:
- Two-Year Residential MBA (International Business) – New Delhi, Kolkata, and Dar-es-Salaam (Tanzania). This is the flagship course, offering specialization in Marketing, Finance, Systems and Trade.
- Three-Year Part Time MBA (International Business), New Delhi & Kolkata
- Executive Master’s in International Business, New Delhi, Dubai and Dar-es-Salaam
- Certificate Course in Export Management, New Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati (Assam)
- Post Graduate Certificate Course in International Business through NIIT Imperia
IIFT has, over the years, undertaken research studies with organizations like World Trade Organization, World Bank, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the Ministry of Commerce & Industry. IIFT has also trained more than 40,000 business professionals across 30 countries via its management development programs.
Centres at IIFT
Centre for International Trade in Technology
With the primary objective of actuality India’s potential in technology trade and addressing some of the institutional complexities, IIFT has set up the Centre for International Trade in Technology with financial and technical support from the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India.
It is an institution in which roles of active players in international technology trade especially those of Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Ministry of Science and Technology are proposed to be synthesised.
Centre for WTO Studies
The Centre for WTO Studies was established at IIFT in November 2002.
The major objective of the Centre has been to provide research and analytical support on a continuous basis to the Department of Commerce on identified issues pertaining to the World Trade Organization. In addition, it is also tasked to carry out research activities, bring out Publications on WTO related subjects, carry out Outreach & Capacity Building programmes by organizing seminars, workshops, subject specific meetings etc., and to be a repository of important WTO documents in its Trade Resource Centres
Centre for SME Studies
The growing importance of Small and Medium Enterprises in the economy as a whole and External Trade in particular has prompted IIFT to establish a separate Centre for SME studies which can act as a catalyst to the internationalisation of SME activities. The centre has become operational from May, 2005. The Centre for SME Studies at IIFT provides continuous support to the SME sector by carrying out activities which can be broadly classified into conducting Training Programmes, provision of Business Intelligence services through a Databank and acting as a catalyst for Interfacing with other concerned and associated institutions.
Eligibility and Pattern of Examination
- Recognized Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years’ duration in any discipline
- Candidates appearing for a qualifying examination can also apply subject to submission of proof of requisite qualification by beginning of October of the year of start of the course.
- No age limit
Pattern of Examination
1. The admission test is a multiple choice objective type written test (in English).
2. IIFT Question Paper covers:
- English Comprehension,
- General Knowledge & Awareness,
- Logical Reasoning and
- Quantitative Analysis.
3. Duration of the test is 2 hours.
IIFT is a paper based test.
IIFT Delhi Centre is located in the Qutab Institutional Area in close vicinity of Jawaharlal Nehru University and the Indian Institute of Technology in New Delhi, India and is spread over 6 acres of land.
The Kolkata Centre was set up in July 2006 when it was perceived that they needed a campus in a port city. The Union Commerce minister Kamal Nath inaugurated the campus in the presence of chief minister of West Bengal, Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee.The campus is located in Sector V Salt Lake amidst the IT hub of Kolkata. The campus at Kolkata is an extension of the Delhi campus with rotating faculty and central placement at both the campuses.