Common Admission Test – CAT
CAT is the most popular test among prospective management students because it is accepted by the best institutes – Indian Institute of Management(s).The test is conducted every year by one of the Indian Institute of Managements (IIMs). Cracking CAT examination is one of the biggest dreams of MBA aspirants and to make it true one has to do a lot of efforts. CAT entrance exam is used as a criteria to shortlist applicants for admissions to the thirteen IIMs:
- IIM Ahmedabad,
- IIM Bangalore,
- IIM Indore,
- IIM Kozhikode,
- IIM Kashipur,
- IIM Rohtak,
- IM Ranchi,
- IIM Raipur,
- IIM Lucknow,
- IIM Shillong,
- IIM Tiruchirappalli and
- IIM Udaipur.
CAT or Common Admission Test is one of the largest MBA entrance exam conducted in India, annually. The CAT score is also accepted by more than 100 non-IIM institutes across India, some of which are as reputed as the IIMs. The CAT is one of the world’s most demanding entrance examinations for any graduate institute.
Pattern of Examination
Indian Institute of Management (IIMs), the premier business-schools of the country (and counted among the best in the world) conduct this test for selecting potential students for the next round of admission process (comprising of a personal interview and a group discussion) for their MBA and Fellowship programmes. Some People feel that Common Admission Test (CAT) is more of a rejection procedure than a selection process. It rejects those who can’t make their minds work at break neck speed for two and a half hours non-stop. Paper Pattern – The question paper will be separated in 2 sections.
- Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
- Verbal Ability & Logical reasoning
The Time Duration for the exam: 2 hours and 20 minutes.
CAT is a computer based test, conducted in multiple cities during a window of 3-4 weeks. A candidate can select his / her test date and slot as per choice and availability.
- The candidate cannot choose a section to attempt first. The Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation section is presented first, followed by Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning.
- Each section is timed separately. Once a section ends, candidate can no longer go back to it.
- On-screen timer is made available for both the sections each counting down 1 hour and 10 minutes (i.e. 70 minutes). When the time is up, the first section ends and the candidate can no longer go back to it. The second section then begins with the on-screen timer counting down from 1 hour 10 minutes again. Once the second section ends, the test will end.
- The candidate cannot end the first section before 70 minutes are up. However, he/she can end the second section before 70 minutes are up.
- At the test venue, each candidate will be seated at a desk with a computer terminal and he/she will be provided with a scratch paper for calculations. After the test, candidate must leave the scratch paper at the desk. Rough work cannot be done on any other paper/sheet, as nothing will be allowed inside the testing room. No breaks will be given during the test.
Eligibility and Reservation
Eligibility for the postgraduate programmes in management at all IIMs and to appear for IIM-CAT is at least a three-year bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognised university with 50% Marks in graduation. Those appearing in the final year examination of graduation are also eligible to appear in Common Admission Test.
There is no age restriction for appearing in CAT.
- 15.00% : Scheduled Caste (SC)
- 7.50% : Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- 27.00% : Other Backward Classes (OBC) candidates belonging to the “non-creamy” layer
- 3.00% : Differently Abled (DA)
How to prepare for CAT exam
Be focussed on Exam Pattern: As the test will consist of two sections – (a) Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation (b) Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning, the candidates must focus on these two sections only. Aspirants must not go beyond these sections while preparing for CAT examination.
Set a Time Table: The first step to start the preparation must be setting a time table as it will help the candidates to devote proper time in the daily routine jobs along with the study. Not only setting a time table will help but the aspirants must follow the same to get some fine results.
Systematic and meticulous study: Candidates must ensure that they are very systematic in their approach as it will help them to wind up their topics according to their time table. The best way to furnish this is to choose a topic first and decide the required number of days for concluding that topic. Try to resolve all your confusions regarding various concepts, formulae and reasoning on that topic within the stipulated time period decided by you.
Know your strength and weaknesses: Candidate must thoroughly study the syllabus of the examination and do smart work rather than hard work. In CAT examination, the candidates are judged on conceptualized knowledge, analytical skills and decision making capabilities. So, try to know your weaknesses and work hard on that and brush up your strengths to excel in examination.
Practise Mock test papers to develop speed and accuracy: As there will be 30 questions in each section and time allotted to each section will be 1 hour and 10 minutes (that is 70 minutes), so the candidates must practise mock test papers to develop speed and accuracy. It will also help them to know their pitfalls and mistakes by the time to overcome that. For this purpose edudose.com has given lots of mock and solved paper.
Healthy Diet and Proper Sleep: Just study, study and study will not lead a student to crack the exam but the healthy diet and right amount of sleep along with the study will show the good results. Both are very necessary to keep the mind fresh and to improve concentration power.
Revise before the big Day: On the Examination day, aspirants should remain calm. Revision of the studied topics is very necessary. One should not start studying new topics on the examination day.
List of Non-IIM Colleges Accepting CAT Scores
1. Accurate Institute Of Management And Technology Greater Noida www.accurate.in
2. AICAR Business School Raigad www.aicar.net
3. Algol School Of Technology Gurgaon www.algolworld.com
4. Alliance Business Academy Bangalore www.alliancebschool.org
5. Amrita School Of Business Coimbatore www.amrita.edu/asb
6. Apeejay School Of Management New Delhi www.apeejay.edu/asm/home.html
7. Aravali Institute Of Management Jodhpur www.aravali.org
8. Army Institute Of Management Kolkata www.aim.ac.in
9. Army Institute Of Management And Technology Greater Noida www.aim.ac.in
10. Asian School Of Business Management Bhubaneswar www.asbm.ac.in
11. Asia Pacific Institute Of Management New Delhi www.asiapacific.edu
12. Balaji Institute Of International Business Pune www.biibpune.org
13. Balaji Institute Of Modern Management Pune www.bimmpune.com
14. Bharathidasan Institute Of Management Tiruchirappalli www.bim.edu
15. Birla Institute Of Management Technology Greater Noida (NCR) www.bimtech.ac.in
16. BLS Institute Of Management Ghaziabad www.blsim.org
17. Calcutta Business School Kolkata www.calcuttabusinessschool.org
18. Centre For Management Training And Research CMTR Campus Mohali www.cmtrindia.org
19. Chandragupt Institute Of Management Patna www.cimp.in
20. College Of Agribusiness Management Pantnagar www.cabm.ac.in
21. Cosmic Business School New Delhi www.cosmicbschool.in
22. Delhi School Of Professional Studies And Research Delhi www.dspsr.ac.in
23. Department Of Business Management ,University Of Calcutta Kolkata www.mbmcu.org
24. Department Of Business Management ,Punjab Agricultural University Ludhiana www.pau.edu
25. Department Of Commerce,University Of Calcutta Kolkata www.caluniv.ac.in
26. Department Of Management Studies,Indian School of Mines University Dhanbad www.ismdhanbad.ac.in
27. Department Of Management Studies,Pondicherry University Puducherry www.pondiuni.edu.in
28. Dr.Gaur Hari Singhania Institute Of Management And Research Kanpur www.ghsimr.org
29. EMPI Business School New Delhi www.empiindia.com
30. EMPI’s Ajit Haksar Institute of Advertising Communication and Marketing New Delhi www.adcom.empi.in
31. Enterpreneurship Development Institute Of India Gandhinagar www.ediindia.org
32. Faculty Of Manangement Studies,Banaras Hindu University Varanasi www.bhu.ac.in
33. FORE School Of Management New Delhi www.fsm.ac.in
34. Fortune Institute Of International Business New Delhi www.fiibindia.com
35. Galgotias Business School Greater Noida www.galgotiasbschool.in
36. List of Non-IIM Colleges Accepting CAT ScoresGitam Institute Of International Business Visakhapatnam www.gitam.edu
37. Globsyn Business School Kolkata www.Globsynbschool.com
38. Graduate School Of Business And Administration Greater Noida (NCR) www.gsbaindia.org
39. Haryana School Of Business Hisar www.gju.ernet.in
40. Heritage Institute Of Technology Kolkata www.heritageit.edu
41. IEC Business School Greater Noida www.ieccollege.com
42. IFIM Business School Bangalore www.ifimbschool.com
43. IILM Graduate School of Management Greater Noida www.igsm.in
44. IILM Institute for Higher Education Gurgaon www.iilm.edu
45. IMRT Business School Lucknow www.imrt.edu.in
46. Indian Business Academy Bangalore www.ibainternational .org
47. Indian Institute of Finance Delhi www.iif.edu
48. Indian Institute of Forest Management Bhopal www.iifm.ac.in
49. Indian Institute of Information Technology Allahabad www.iiita.ac.in
50. Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management Kolkata www.iiswbm.edu
51. Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) Chennai www.ifmr.ac.in
52. Institute of Agri Business Management Bikaner www.iabmbikaner.org
53. Institute of Engineering & Management Calcutta www.iemcal.com
54. Institute of Management, Nirma University of Science & Technology Ahmedabad www.imnu.ac.in
55. Institute of Management Development & Research Pune www.imdr.edu
56. Institute of Management Education Ghaziabad www.imesahibabad.ac.in
57. Institute of Management Sciences Lucknow www.lkouniv.ac.in
58. Institute of Management Technology Ghaziabad www.imt.edu
59. Institute of Management Technology – Nagpur Nagpur www.imtnagpur.ac.in
60. Institute of Marketing & Management New Delhi www.immindia.com
61. Institute of Petroleum Management, Gandhinagar Gandhinagar www.ipmg.ac.in
62. Institute of Public Enterprise Hyderabad www.ipeindia.org
63. INTECH Institute of Business Management Bangalore www.intechibm.org
64. Integrated Academy of Management and Technology Ghaziabad www.inmantec.edu
65. International Institute for Special Education Lucknow www.iiseindia.com
66. International Management Institute New Delhi www.imi.edu
67. International School of Business & Research,( ISBR Business School) Bangalore www.isbr.in
68. International School of Management Excellence Bangalore www.isme.in
69. Invertis Institute of Management Studies Bareilly www.invertis.org
70. ITM Business School Navi Mumbai www.itm.edu
71. Jagan Institute of Management Studies Delhi www.jimsindia.org
72. Jaipuria Institute of Management Lucknow www.jiml.ac.in
73. Jaipuria Institute of Management Noida www.jimnoida.ac.in
74. Jaipuria Institute of Management Jaipur www.jimj.ac.in
75. JK Padampat Singhania Institute of Management &Technology Gurgaon www.jkps.edu.in
76. K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research Mumbai www.simsr.somaiya.edu
77. K R Mangalam Global Institute of Management New Delhi www.kgim.org
78. Kirloskar Institute of Advanced Management Studies Harihar www.kiams-hrr.org
79. Kohinoor Business School & Centre for Management and Research Punewww.kohinoor.ac.in
80. Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management New Delhi www.lbsim.ac.in
81. Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management & Technology Bareilly www.lbsimt.org
82. Lotus Institute of Management Bareilly www.lim.co.in
83. Lovely Professional University Phagwara www.lpu.in
84. Management Development Institute Gurgaon www.mdi.ac.in
85. Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology Bhopal www.manit.ac.in
86. Nanyang Business School Singapore www.nbs.ntu.edu.sg
87. National Institute of Bank Management Pune www.nibmindia.org
88. National Institute of Technology Thiruchirappalli www.nitt.edu
89. National Institute of Technology Calicut Calicut www.nitc.ac.in
90. National Insurance Academy Pune www.niapune.com
91. National Power Training Institute Faridabad www.npti.nic.in
92. New Delhi Institute of Management New Delhi www.ndimdelhi.org
93. NIILM Centre for Management Studies New Delhi www.niilm.com
94. Pearl School of Business Gurgaon www.psbg.in
95. Proton Business School Indore www.protonbschool.com
96. S D M Institute for Management Development Mysore www.sdmimd.ac.in
97. S. P. Jain Institute o f Management & Research Mumbai www.spjimr.org
98. School of Management Sciences Varanasi www.smsvaranasi.com
99. School of Management Studies Hyderabad www.uohyd.ernet.in
100. Sherwood Business School Barabanki www.sherwoodindia.com
101. Shobhit University Meerut www.shobhituniversity.ac.in
102. Shri Ramswaroop Memorial College of Engineering and Management Lucknow www.srmcem.ac.in
103. Sri Mata Vaishno Devi University Katra (J&K) www.smvdu.ac.in
104. Suryadatta Group of Institutes Pune www.suryadatta.org
105. T. A. Pai Management Institute Manipal www.tapmi.org
106. The Business School Jammu www.jammubusinessschool.in
107. Thiagarajar School of Management Madurai www.tsm.ac.in
108. University Business School Chandigarh www.ubschandigarh.org
109. University of Petroleum & Energy Studies Gurgaon www.upes.ac.in
110. University School of Management Kurukshetra http://kuk.edu.tripod.com
111. Vignana Jyothi Instititute of Management Hyderabad www.vjim.edu.in
112. VIT Business School Vellore www.vit.ac.in